Sunday, November 18, 2007

Into Great Silence

I just finished watching a great docu-drama called Into Great Silence. It follows monks of the Grande Charteuse monastery - for nearly three hours. Maybe I'll get to do a proper review/piece for the Patrol (www.patrolmag.com - yes, I really can't stop myself from self-advertising), but I have to say the film was fascinating.

I'm not at all a fan of those artsy slow movies that ultimately have no point at all, and in the very process of trying to be more real, or true to life, strip all the emotion and life out of a piece and actually make it "less" like life, but Into Great Silence is an exception.

There's few surprising moments, but the few we do get are treated as every other moment in the film, whether it be a time of prayer, or song, or eating lunch. The film was profound not in that it made me think about a lot of things, but in that I spent three hours of the most peaceful, warming silence of my life.

No comments: